An immaculate 18 hole course carved through the Highland Heart of Nova Scotia
The original nine hole golf course in Antigonish was laid out by the club’s founding members in the mid 1920’s. Initially, the course started out in Whidden’s Intervale with six holes, but three additional holes were added over time. The nine hole course was opened for play in 1926. The original course layout was characterized by hundreds of stately elms, which provided shade, strategy and a strong visual character for many of the holes. While some of those trees do remain, as many as 600 have been removed because of Dutch Elm disease.
As the popularity of the sport grew, overcrowding the course, it was decided to that the course would expand to eighteen holes. In 1988, R.F. Moote & Associates of Brampton, Ontario was commissioned to design and supervise construction of an additional nine holes for the course. The new eighteen hole course was completed and open for play in 1990. The front and back nine on the club’s scorecard are equally laid out with two par threes, five par fours, and two par fives.
In 1999, Robert LeBlanc & Associates and the Stonehouse Golf Group were commissioned to provide a long-term masterplan to upgrade and improve the course. Members approved the plan as a working document at a meeting on December 6, 1999. It is available to the public.