The first lighthouse to be built at Caribou Point was established in 1868 and was a combination dwelling and light tower. Alexander Munroe was appointed the first keeper of the light in October 1867. Six lamps set in twelve-inch reflectors were used to produce a white flash every minute. on a pier in Pictou where it is part of the Northumberland Fisheries Museum. The lighthouse contains information on the life of a lighthouse keeper and is home to Rip E. Irwin’s collection of lighthouse information and photographs.
In October 2016, the one-story portion of Caribou Lighthouse was demolished, leaving just the tower standing. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.